Har Gau

Instagram

Tuesday 20 September 2011

NABM cooks - Zucchini Slice (courtesy of Tanya's Aunt)

Grated zucchini

In the previous post, I mentioned that I'd met a new friend. This new friend, aside from being my food-chat buddy, also gave me a recipe from her Aunt in Australia which she'd tried and tested, and felt it good enough to recommend to me.

You say zucchini - I say courgette. Whatever. The outcome's the same.

Zucchini slice with bacon and cheese

Below is a picture of the recipe - in all its original glory. I have been nice and typed up another version for you below, but that's just because it's you.




Zucchini Slice From Down Under (with my modifications in brackets)

Makes about 1 small lasagne tray
375g grated (julienned) zucchini / courgette (I used about 3 zucchinis and it turned out OK)
1 large onion (Mine was diced)
3 rashers bacon (I fried mine up first before slicing it)
1 cup grated cheese (I used extra strong cheddar for maximum taste)
1 cup self-raising flour (Tanya said to add a teaspoon of baking powder if you want it to rise more)
1/2 cup oil (I used plain sunflower oil)
5 eggs (I used 6)
Salt and pepper




You can probably tell from the above that I don't follow recipes too well, but for your own sake, please try to follow the photographed recipe.)
What the recipe says to do:

1. Grate zucchini
2. Chop onion and bacon
3. Combine all together
4. Lastly add eggs
5. Mix thoroughly
6. Bake 30 - 40 mins at 170 degrees Celcius

Zucchini slice with bacon and cheeseZucchini slice with bacon and cheeseZucchini slice with bacon and cheeseZucchini slice with bacon and cheese

I did almost the same as per the recipe, with the difference being I cooked the bacon first to get it all crispy, and also softened the zucchini in the bacon grease to maximise flavour before mixing it all in a bowl.

Zucchini slice with bacon and cheeseZucchini slice with bacon and cheese

Using a lasagne dish, I lined it with foil (no washing up!) before pouring the mixture into the tray, and then baked for the recommended time. To test if the mixture is cooked thoroughly, you could try poking it with a chopstick, and if the chopstick comes out clean (ie no sticky mixture on it), it's most probably cooked.

Zucchini slice with bacon and cheese

I ate some of it there and then, and cut the rest up into 3 x 2 inch slices to be kept in the fridge. Over the next few days, we had the slices (warmed up in the microwave) with a tomato and chicken stew. With enough gravy, this was almost similar to dumplings, or a savoury muffin. Gonna try making it again soon for a friend's BBQ, so we'll see how that goes.

Zucchini slice with bacon and cheese

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Locations of visitors to this page